I recently wrote a book reflection at Webified Development where I took the concept of “finding your sweet spot” from Cure For the Common Life by Max Lucado, and turned it into an article on website development. After all, web developers are more successful and much more happy doing the things they enjoy, things they do well, and things that can bring some financial freedom. Finding your sweet spot in life will make you a lot more successful too!
The Sunday after I wrote that article, Pastor Jay decided he would preach a sermon entitled “Pursuing Your Purpose.” How convenient! Like Lucado, Pastor Jay isn’t talking about web design, but rather achieving your God ordained design. He used 1 Cor. 9:24-27 as the backdrop for his sermon:
1 Corinthians 9:24-27 (New International Version)
24 Do you not know that in a race all the runners run, but only one gets the prize? Run in such a way as to get the prize.
25 Everyone who competes in the games goes into strict training. They do it to get a crown that will not last; but we do it to get a crown that will last forever. 26 Therefore I do not run like a man running aimlessly; I do not fight like a man beating the air. 27 No, I beat my body and make it my slave so that after I have preached to others, I myself will not be disqualified for the prize.
When Paul wrote this he was telling the Corinthian Church to work hard at succeeding for God. To find their purpose, to train hard, hard enough to suffer, and then succeed for Christ. Pastor Jay outlines in his sermon four effective methods for pursuing your purpose:
- Determine Your Purpose (ahem… find your sweet spot)
- Endure Hardships
- Establish a Plan
- Practice Personal Discipline
You can hear the full sermon at the link at the bottom of this article. But during the sermon Pastor Jay brought up the book by Seth Godin called, The Dip. I have added this to my list of books to read during January 2009…
5 Things to Do:
- Read 1 Corinthians 9:24-37 in context at BibleGateway.
- Listen to the full sermon on “Pursuing Your Purpose.” This link is a download to a 9.9 meg MP3 file.
- Get a copy of The Dip by Seth Godin… and read it. It really is a small and useful book!
- If you really want to, you can also read my article on finding “Your Sweet Spot“
- Allow what Pastor Jay says to motivate you to find your purpose and USE that purpose to succeed for GOD!